If you are nearing the end of orthodontic treatment and just need a few small tooth movements to finish aligning your smile, Dr. Julianne Wyman may recommend an orthodontic positioner. Also known as tooth positioners, this simple appliance is designed to help you complete your treatment so that you can enjoy a beautiful smile. Call Wyman Orthodontics today at 410-398-1221 to learn more about tooth positioners in Elkton, Maryland, and schedule an appointment with our orthodontist.
Orthodontic positioners are custom-made appliances designed to accomplish final tooth movement without braces. When you receive a positioner, our orthodontist will carefully place the positioner in the proper places over your upper teeth. The lower teeth are fitted into the appliance by biting down on the positioner. This gentle movement helps to “fine tune” the position of your teeth and make small but vital adjustments to the alignment of your teeth to complete your treatment.
We recommend that you:
- Wear your positioner for four hours during the day.
- Wear your appliance at night while you sleep.
- Clench your teeth into the positioner every 10-15 minutes for 20-second intervals.
- To maximize effectiveness, make sure to wear your appliance for at least 30 minutes at a time.
- Put your positioner in its case when you are not wearing it – this will help keep it safe and in good condition.
- Rinse your positioner before and after each use.
- Keep your positioner clean by brushing it with toothpaste and a toothbrush each day.
- Do not boil your positioner or leave it near extreme heat.
Please note that your teeth and jaw may be sore when you begin wearing a positioner. This is normal, and you should adjust to your appliance shortly. If your jaw joints become sore or you notice popping or clicking in the jaw joints, stop wearing your positioner and contact our office.
If you have any questions or to schedule an appointment with our orthodontist, give us a call today!